Thursday 26 April 2007

Verse of the week

'Brothers, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honoured, just as it was with you' 2 Thessalonians 3:1

Q: What does a car need to keep running?
A: Petrol - which is why I'm always filling my car up.
Q: What does a person need to keep going?
A: Food - which is why I'm always filling myself up.
Q: What does the message of Jesus need to keep spreading?
A: Prayer - which is why I'm always...ermmm....ermmmm....am I?

The theory's fine - it's God who spreads his good news through the evangelism of his people, so obviously we need to pray to God that he would continue to do it. It's not rocket science! So when was the last time you got down on your knees and prayed that 'the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honoured, just as it was with you'? That question is one to which my answer is shameful.
A Christian once told you the message of the Lord; thank God for them. God once for the first time enabled you to honour that message by trusting in it and obeying it; thank God for that. And now continue to pray; pray that others would hear about Jesus and trust in him. Here's what Paul's asking Christians 2,000 years ago, and us today, to pray:
For the rapid spread of the good news about Jesus.
For those who are involved in spreading that good news (ie every Christian you know - if they're doing it they need prayer, and if they're not, they definitely need prayer!)
That the message would be honoured; that more and more people would come to trust in Jesus.

It's time for me to recommit myself to praying for these things, and maybe it is for you too - why not start right now?!

No comments: