Thursday 29 March 2007

Any Questions?

Everyone has questions we'd love God to answer, whether we trust in his Son for life here and beyond, or whether we're rejecting his Son. At my last youth group the 'Question Box' became quite famous and much-loved; next term we're running a course for adults called 'So Many Questions.'
It's great to have questions, to keep having questions, and to keep seeking for answers - but it can also be dangerous. It strikes me that in the Bible people ask two types of questions. The question itself can be the same; it's the motivation for asking it that differs.
First type: what I call 'psalm questions'. In the psalms you get quite a lot of deep, challenging, 'What the heck are you doing God' kind of questions, for instance 'Why, O LORD, do you stand far off? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble?' (Psalm 10:1) These are honest, blunt questions - but crucially, they are being asked by someone who already has faith. It is faith that prompts a question like this, and it's faith that answers it...so by the end of Psalm 10 the same guy can say 'You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and listen to their cry.' Psalm questions can be blunt and difficult, but they're questions we ask of a God to whom we bow regardless of the answer, regardless of whether we're even given an answer.
Second type: 'Pilate questions'. At his trial, Jesus tells Pilate 'Everyone on the side of truth listens to me' - to which Pilate asks 'What is truth?' (John 18:37-38). I'm sure he was quite pleased with his question, and I'm sure he sounded very clever (people who live in universities manage to earn a lifetime's salary from talking about that question) - but he was a fool. He was a fool because he used a question to keep God's King at arm's length. His question was a defence mechanism which he could use to put off deciding whether or not Jesus was God's Son or not. And people do that all the time today, too - ask questions which make themselves look clever, and which allow them not to accept the claims of Jesus in their lives. Christians can do it too - if we keep asking questions, we'll never have to apply the answers to our lives. Pilate questions are questions we ask of God in order to prevent ourselves having to bow to him.

As I said, it seems to me the same question can be a Psalm question or a Pilate question. Let's take an example...
'When it says in the Bible 'Do not get drunk', what does drunk actually mean?'
If I'm asking a Psalm question, I'm asking that question because I want to make sure that I definitely don't sin by getting drunk, and I'm wanting to make sure that I bow to God in this area of my life.
If I'm asking a Pilate question, I'm trying to get round the command not to get drunk and hoping that perhaps 'tipsy' will be OK, and I'm trying to show God that I'm actually pretty clever because I'm asking a question which he might not answer in the Bible.

Same question, different motivation. It's worth stopping and thinking sometimes before we ask a question 'Is this a Psalm question or a Pilate question - am I asking this from a position of faith in God and obedience to him, or am I asking this question in an effort to evade applying one of his commands to my life?'

No comments: