Thursday 1 March 2007

Your help needed

I've been thinking a bit recently about the range of good quality Christian books on offer to 'the yoof', and about how often in my church work I've ended up giving books written for adults in their thirties to young people in their teens, simply because there's no book written on that topic which is actually aimed at teenagers.
It's not that I think teenagers can't read and enjoy books written for adults, or that they need stuff written for them which has lots of BITS IN CAPITALS or even in bold just to keep them interested (because obviously Christian teenagers don't get excited about Christianity, only bits in bold or capitals!), but just that it strikes me that being a teenager is (a) very different to any other age, and (b) incredibly tough to live as a Christian. And doesn't that mean that teenagers mainly need books and Bible studies which bring Christian doctrine to bear on the issues facing them in their current circumstances?
So I'm thinking of having a go at writing a book...but if I'm going to be true to the above two paragraphs, I want to work out what areas it is that Christian teenagers most feel they need biblical advice and application, and then bring the Bible to that area, rather than me sitting here thinking 'Ah, I think this is what teenagers probably ought to know' and then getting it wrong.

So please help me, if you're a teenager - email me at lafertonc@hotmail.com, and tell me, if you were reading a 60-page book on an aspect of Christian belief or living, what would be most helpful for you to read about. And I tell you what, I promise if the book ever existed and is published (Hah!) then I'll give anyone who emails me a mention in it...

Go on, email now!

No comments: