Thursday 1 February 2007

Harry Potter and the exciting release date

So, 21st July is the big day, when the last HP book is finally released, and half of this marriage is already quite excited (I am quite intruiged to see how she'll finish it too, but because I'm a bit of a snob I'm pretending that I don't really care). And you can be sure that millions of people will be really excited about the chance to get cracking on this book, the chance to open it up and find out what happens to Harry, to read and re-read it and to discuss it with friends.
There are countries in the world where people feel the same way about the Bible - countries where people don't have Bibles and long to be able to read about Jesus, to be able to find out more about him and discuss what they've learned with friends. I was reading about one Chinese guy who prayed for months that somehow God would bring him a Bible...I remember a story about a man in eastern Europe in a Communist country who cried tears of happiness when a missionary brought him God's Word.
The Bible is on my bookshelf right now - and when I think about my own attitude towards God's Word, I am ashamed. It's not that often I get excited about reading it, not that often that I concentrate fully on it, not that often that I turn off the telly so I can spend more time finding out about Jesus. Even amongst Christians, there will probably be more excitement about Harry Potter VII coming out in July than about reading God's revelation to us in his Word.
Do we believe the Bible is God's Word? Do we believe that it tells us about Jesus Christ, a real man who is the most important figure in history? Do we believe that the Bible explains to us how we can be saved and how we can live God's way? If we say 'Yes' to those questions, surely we should look forward to opening it up, we should long to know more of what it says. Do you want to know more about Dumbledore's death or the Lord Jesus' death? Do you look forward to 21st July as HP release day or another day to read God's Word and live his way?
Sometimes we have the same perspective as everyone else unthinkingly; let us instead, each time Harry Potter is mentioned in the next six months, think instead about Jesus, and remind ourselves that it is reading about him that should be our priority when we choose what to read.

No comments: